No. 1 - Sewing journals of a novice sewer

Hey Everybody! Hope you are having a good day so far. My name is Joei Dee and I am a novice sewer. I have attended a couple of introductory sewing classes but not many.

I work for a corporate firm Mondays to Fridays working on IT projects. However I have always enjoyed a creative outlet as a hobby.

I have always loved fashion and clothes. I love going to London Fashion week twice a year to see what trends and styles will be greeting us in the up coming season. I would always try to recreate the look by finding affordable items on the high street. My body shape is long and thin and a lot of time the styles didn't fit 100%. Other times I would search high and low for an item but I couldn't find it within my budget which was sooo frustrating. That was were my desire started and I was motivated that one day I would like to learn how to sew.

My dream became a reality when I was walking past a cute little shop in Clapham (London,UK) with my friend. For some reason we decided to pop in. It was an independent company called Sew Over It had. I was balled over by what could be made on a domestic sewing machine. Leather items, coats, bags etc. I said sign me up straight away.

I took a day off work to attend. It was their introduction to sewing class which I attended. I learnt how to use a sewing machine that day and I walked away making a cushion, a make up pouch and a pair of cute pj shorts.

I must have been the slowest sewer in the class but I was soooo proud of myself and I ran all the way home at the time to show my family lol. I would never forget it! Straight after the course I signed up to the induction to dress making. It was an introductory session which ran the weekend. I learnt how to use a pattern and I was able to make a circle skirt and a shift dress. Which I still wear to this day even though it wasn't prefect. I use to tell people to not look too close lol.

Unfortunately I didn't continue much after that as work took over and I found myself too busy.

COVID - 19 has affected everyone worldwide and has turned everyone's lifes up side down. I have found myself working from home more. This has provided me with a better work life balance and have opened up the opportunity to revisit and pick up my sewing again. As a way of motivation I thought it would be a good idea to document my sewing journey describing my experience and what skils I have learnt along the way. To start off with, I have decided to set myself a challenge as you will see from my video below.

As Rome is not built in a day, I am breaking down my goal into small achievable targets. To learn about my up coming plans please keep your eyes peeled for the next episode.

You can also follow my progress through out the month on:

Thanks so much for your time today.

Hope that was helpful and may inspire you to give it a go. So until next time, stay save, have fun and lots of love ❤️❤️

Comments