Sewing Journal No. 3 - fabric haul for the capsule wardrobe

Hi Everybody! Hope you are enjoying your day so far and your week ahead.

I always love a good reason to shop, or should I say an excuse lol. Well this project of making myself a me made wardrobe was the perfect motive I needed to flex my card and go crazy in the virtual shopping aisles.

There were so many great shopping websites offering lots of amazing fabrics it was hard to stay focus and only buy for the collection. Which is why it probably took much longer than I needed to, spent more than I should have and the reason why my bedroom looks like a haberdashery shop.

That said I do think I have found some great treasures which I will like to share. I am not sure if all of the choices I picked will still be available or restocked, but I will share the links anyway just in case you are interested.

For my bottoms

I have decided to pick two different suiting fabrics: 

This one is made from wool and silk from JJ Textiles aka The Fabric Man from Etsy. This fabric will keep me lovely and toasty during the cold winter days.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/843236578/black-with-red-window-pane-checked-wool?ref=yr_purchases

The other fabric was purchased from Tooting Market. What drew me to this fabric was the vivid colour and the fact that it doesn't hold too many wrinkles. Great for those days when you are trying to beat the clock. It also have a soft sheen to it too maybe due to the fact that it is a polyester mix. 

For the tops:

I think the three fabrics I choice are a carnival of colours in their own unique way. 

This cotton jersey fabric from Little Legs Fabric is so refined and soft it is definitely not your standard t-shirt fabric you usually buy, hence the price. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/871121848/coral-vertical-stripes-cotton-jersey?ref=yr_purchases

The next one is a refined cotton lawn. The quality is very much like Liberty's. Have to say I am sooo scared to cut it, it's so beautiful. I really hope I can do this justice as I don't want to mess it up. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/886388719/blush-blooms-cotton-lawn-lady-mcelroy?ref=yr_purchases

The last one is this tweed boucle fabric made in Italy. It is so soft and smooth, perfect for this time of year. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/848642438/new-haute-italian-tweed-boucle-fabric?ref=yr_purchases

Dress or jumpsuit :

Which one do you think I went with? Any ideas? We'll if you have seen my previous post you will know the answer. However you can find out from the video below. 

Back to the fabric, I picked this cord knit jacquard jersey fabric. It is super bouncy which I wasn't expecting. However I can understand why this is a favourite amongst sewers. It is truly cosy and they come in a variety of colours. So many places sells this fabric now but I purchased mine here:

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/70-13423-651_cabled-cloque-jacquard-jersey-royal-blue.html

I think the colour I picked is now sold out but they do have a tiger print one which looks super fun too. 

For the laying item:

I went back to The Fabric Man at etsy and ordered more of the suiting fabric as I would like to make a cute suit. 

For outerwear:

Last but finitely not least this cool reversible wool from cheapfabrics.co.uk. It has finally arrived guys and it doesn't disappoint. Super warm, soft and cosy. It was a great find! 

https://www.cheapfabrics.co.uk/products/reversible-check-houndstooth-wool-blend

So pleased I ordered enough to make this item and something else in the future. It has sold out on their website but I will pop the link here in case they restock. By the way the website says navy but actually it is black. 

So that is my amazing carnival of colours fabric selection for my capsule wardrobe to see which materials I will make which patterns please play the video post below:

I will keep you posted on my progress. I will share what went well, what didn't, what I would change again and any design decisions or alterations made.

If you haven't jumped on the capsule wardrobe making train yet, then please feel free to join in with me. I could do with the encouragement. It would be great to see your makes too if you add to your Instagram posts #sewjoei.

To see any pictures of the things I have made so far please follow on:

Thanks so much for your time today.

Hope that was helpful and may inspire you to give it a go. So until next time, stay save, have fun and lots of love ❤️❤️

Comments