Sewing Journal No. 2 - planning my capsule wardrobe

Hey Everybody! Hope you are having a good day so far and that you and your family are safe and well.

Following my previous blog, I went to work sorting out my existing wardrobe to see what things I needed and what things I could donate. I noticed 3 key things.

  • 1. I was in serious need of some colour, as the majority of my clothes were dark colours.
  • 2. I didn't own many casual items in my wardrobe apart from a couple of pairs of jeans. As my wardrobe was made up of clothes for work and dresses for parties and weddings.
  • 3. A lot of the items in my wardrobe just didn't feel like me anymore. They are things I just don't want to wear.

So I bagged some of the items and donated them to friends and family. A few I am keeping because I still love the fabric and it would give me an excuse to flip it into something else. As I have never done that before but it does sound like fun. The rest I discarded as I killed them half to death lol.

Next up I read lots of articles and watched lots of YouTube videos on creating a capsule wardrobe. However what I notice was that they were all based around using base colours like black, navy, white and beige. Which was what I was trying to avoid, even though I do love those colours.

I decided to write down what I wanted my capsule wardrobe to do for me. I identified the following things:

  • It needs to be bright and colourful, or at least have one colour woven within it.
  • It needs to fit in with my new lifestyle, as I am now working from home. Therefore it needs to still look professional (at least from the waist up lol, as I will be attending lots of meetings online via video calls) but also very comfortable.
  • They need to work well together as well as with other items in my wardrobe.
  • I then looked at what patterns I had in my stash, free patterns online and new ones on the market. That was a bad idea because I loved them all and wanted to make everything. It took me a lot time to remain focus. For someone who loves clothes as much as I do, believe me it was super difficult.

    I finally narrowed down 8 sewing patterns. Which you can see below in my next video:

    I looked at which colours and tones worked well together, set myself a budget (so I don't spend too much) and then source the appropriate fabrics from either my stash or online. I wasn't able to share which fabrics I have selected because they are still on order. However that will give me another excuse to make another video lol.

    That is it from me so far as I am waiting for my fabrics to arrive and get stuck in and see what my limited skills can create

    You will be able to see how I am doing by following my progress through out the month on:

    Thanks so much for your time today.

    Hope that was helpful and may inspire you to give it a go. So until next time, stay save, have fun and lots of love ❤️❤️

Comments